[Web4lib] Brilliant Database Marketing Campaign

library.lisle at gmail.com library.lisle at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 20:35:59 EDT 2007

Brilliant is right! Kudos to Wyoming libraries. I opened the post because
MPOW has just recently reopened the 5 lb. can of mud known as "what can we
call our databases to make people realize how wonderful they are?". So when
I saw your subject line, I thought, maybe someone has come up with something
truly useful.

You didn't fix that for me, but you did make me laugh and think. I am sure
some will find the girls offensive, but as a librarian in a small Western
town in California, I have to commend Wyominglibraries.org for really going
outside the box and the barn to get to where your users live. Thank you.

On 9/18/07, Steve Johnston <wyominglibrarian at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Have you seen the newest Wyoming Libraries Marketing Campaign?
>
> http://www.wyominglibraries.org/campaign.html
>
> They are using a picture of a reading "mudflap girl" to advertise their
> new statewide ChiltonLibrary.com auto repair manual database.  They are
> planning to put her into autopart stores all around the state to let male
> non-library users know about the new database.
>
> They are also using bumper stickers to reach the traditional crowd:
> http://www.wyominglibraries.org/
>
> What a great way to reach out to new library users!
>
> Steve Johnston
> Wyominglibrarian at hotmail.com

Lisle (rhymes with weasel) McKenty
"...me figuraba el Paraíso bajo la especie de una biblioteca" --Jorge Borges