[Web4lib] Coding for IE5.2 on a Mac?

Marc Bertone marc at springshare.com
Tue Sep 18 13:45:46 EDT 2007

>From the Mac users that I have talked to, I believe the majority of people
are now using FireFox v2.x for their browser, followed by Safari and then
IE.  I would recommend that you show the Director of Communications the
following browser usage statistics from thecounter.com;
http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2007/September/browser.php.  It looks like
you can expect maybe 1% of users still on any form of IE5.x (PC or Mac).  I
would also expect that the number would be even lower in an academic
settings, where most students are using relatively new hardware and
software.  Assuming you don't have a large Mac-lab on campus that is running
this old browser, I wouldn't spend too much time trying to hack the code to
work with a deprecated browser.

BTW, here is the link to the Microsoft site where they discuss the end of
life for the product;
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/internetexplorer/internetexplorer.aspx
?pid=internetexplorer.

-Marc