[Web4lib] form to create static catalog links

Sara Patalita spatalita at acpl.lib.in.us
Mon Sep 17 17:44:45 EDT 2007

Hello!

I'm hoping to create a quick Web-based application where people can
enter their search terms and they will be given a static URL which they
could use to link to the results of this search in our (iBistro)
catalog.  [Note: I want to provide a URL, not link to the URL.]

Our catalog uses dynamic URLs while actively searching, so you can't
copy and paste the URLs for later retrieval.  I learned how to construct
the syntax of search URLs in iBistro (see http://tinyurl.com/32mux5 ) --
and savvy users can insert their terms into the (admittedly long and
somewhat cumbersome) basic link structure.  The static URLs are used to
email catalog links to our Ask a Librarian users, post on our Web site,
blogs, etc.

I think more of our staff - and maybe patrons - would make use of these
URLs if they were easier to create.

I assume I can create a simple application where users can enter their
terms and get a quick URL back -- which would insert their terms into
the catalog link structure (as described here: http://tinyurl.com/32mux5
), and perhaps even then converting to a tinyurl-type URL to shorten
them and prevent possible line break problems.  The problem is, I'm not
sure of what application/language I could/should use to accomplish
this.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sara

Sara Patalita
General Reference Librarian
Allen County Public Library
900 Library Plaza
Fort Wayne, IN 46801-2270
spatalita at acpl.info
Phone 260.421.1252

"The public library he mistook for heaven." ~The Poisonwood Bible,
Barbara Kingsolver