[Web4lib] Wikis vs blogs

Will Kurt wkurt at bbn.com
Fri Sep 14 13:03:04 EDT 2007

Here's my 2cents.

Blogs are excellent when:
The content is very linear in nature and static.
The information becomes less relevant with time.
Your intention is to broadcast the writings of a few authors to a
much larger number of less interactive readers.

Wikis are better when:
The content branches, and is more dynamic
The value of the information is persistent over time
Your intention is to facilitate collaboration and communication among
a group, and the contributor/audience line is more blurred.

Also are far as Wikis go you don't have to worry about students
erasing things since almost all wiki platforms that I've worked with
keep an extensive history of all changes made to a page.

For blogs Wordpress is pretty much the standard, although Movable
Type seems to be gaining some ground.

For Wikis I've administered several MediaWiki and PmWiki
installations, MediaWiki is great, and very powerful but can be more
overhead and time to configure it correctly, PmWiki is simpler but
has less flexibility.
MediaWiki also has pretty extensive permissions settings (although
customizing them can take a little work) so you can open up or lock
down the wiki as much as you would like.

Also re: Cary's comment on forums. Forums are especially well suited
to students trouble shooting for each other and helping each other
out with specific questions, especially if the forum can send out
email messages to the group.

A blog will most emulate the classroom experience, with major
speaker, and a few active people commenting.  A wiki will resemble a
large group project. A forum is the best way to facilitate quick Q&A
among students.

--Will