[Web4lib] Tool to show where/whether CSS classes and IDsare beingused?

Norwood, Randy randy.norwood at ttu.edu
Wed Sep 12 14:34:22 EDT 2007

Thanks for all of the replies.

However, I may not have explained the problem very well. I do use the FF
Web Developer toolbar, but unless I'm missing something obvious, it is
suitable for working with one page at a time, for diagnosing style
problems and for fine-tuning stylesheet changes, etc.

Say that I have a stylesheet that is used on all 500+ pages on my site.
And there is a frequently-used style that controls how <ul> lists are
displayed. If I change that style in the stylesheet, the result might
look OK, or it might not, depending on the context--maybe the spacing
between the <li> elements would be too large, or too narrow. I won't
know except by looking at it in different browsers. The problem is, How
do I identify all of the pages on my site that happen to use that style,
so I can check them to make sure they look OK?

Another example: stylesheets gradually accumulate style selectors that
are no longer used--maybe they were put in there during site development
and were never removed. If I want to clean up my stylesheet and remove
all of the selectors that are not being used, how do I identify the ones
that are not being used anywhere on my site?

Thanks
Randy