[Web4lib] Ready Reference Web Sites

Walker, David dwalker at calstate.edu
Mon Sep 10 16:10:26 EDT 2007

> as the user types what they're looking
> for at the top of the page, the list
> gets filtered.

The problem with this approach, though -- as with any type of search that only searches database or website *descriptions* -- is that users will almost surely mistake that search box for a search of the databases themselves.

We all expect search boxes to search content, not descriptions of content.

So your users will likely type in very narrow search terms into that box -- e.g., 'female circumcision among west african tribes' -- rather than the types of broad, disciplinary or format terms that would actually be included in website or database descriptions -- e.g., 'anthropology' or 'dissertations'.

In that way, I think, these type of search boxes, and you see on a fair number of library websites, are almost *worse* than the big link dump, since they are now *misleading*.  If you get back a "no hits" message after typing in your terms, it's very, very easy to interpret that as "the library doesn't have any articles/books/websites on my topic", no matter how carefully worded that message is.

--Dave

David Walker
Library Web Services Manager
California State University