[Web4lib] Web4lib Digest, Vol 30, Issue 4

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Mon Sep 10 11:19:23 EDT 2007

On 9/10/2007 10:21 AM, Robin wrote:

> Question for administrators: Is it appropriate to get these
> out-of-office notices on lists? I was under the impression that
> etiquette called for them to be suppressed.
>
> Thanks,
> Robin Boulton

Speaking only for myself, I'd say etiquette calls for the sender to
configure the autoresponder not to reply to lists.  It's asking a lot of
the list software to identify and block these messages, and definitely
asking too much of the human list owner to screen for them.

Web4Lib does its bit by distributing posts with a "Precedence: list"
header.  Once upon a time, autoresponders understood that they shouldn't
send vacation messages in reply to mail with this header (or
catch as many you can with mail filters and shoot them straight to your
trash folder, and just cope with the rest.

--
Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu