[Web4lib] Room Service = OnCall | OnDemand OnSite ReferenceService(s) ?]

Ryan, Pam pam.ryan at ualberta.ca
Thu Sep 6 20:00:25 EDT 2007

Hi Jean,

You're quite right that the technology isn't at all new. We're simply using the same Help Desk chat software we use for one of our regular virtual reference service methods. Our campus computing help desk also uses the same Live Help chat software <http://livehelp.stardevelop.com/> so we were going for some ease-of-use and familiarity for our students with the selection.

The service, however, is new for us. We do refer to it in-house as our "summoning service." We know students choose not to leave their workstations, likely losing it to another student in the process, and haul all their stuff to a desk to ask for help in the middle of working. We're expecting that many transactions will be simple in-house chat but we really mean the "we'll come to you" part too. We're servicing a busy, completely wireless, four-floor library with over 200 full productivity workstations.

This service is just one feature of a new public service model we've rolled out this term. We have a new single service desk model for all public service transactions (reference, circulation, technology support, you name it) and all our public service staff (librarians and associate staff) provide whatever help the user in front of them (physically or virtually) needs. The model is heavily supported by self-service technologies for circulation and reserve material too. We're anxiously awaiting the Fall 2007 completion of our Main Floor renovation (30,000 sq ft) to move this desk model into its planned spot amid a service floor designed for our students, quite literally after stripping the entire floor down to the bare walls and starting over.

I'm happy to field any questions off-list.

Cheers,
Pam

Pam Ryan
Interim Head, Science & Technology Library
1-20 Cameron Library
University of Alberta Libraries
pam.ryan at ualberta.ca
http://www.library.ualberta.ca/scitech/