[Web4lib] CMS (Content Management System)

Michael L. Champion mchampion at lvdl.org
Wed Oct 31 10:29:08 EDT 2007

We recently launched a new website (http://www.lvdl.org) utilizing
DotNetNuke as the CMS.  It is built on the .NET Framework and installs
quite easily on Windows IIS 6 and Microsoft SQL Server.

Create themes is very simple and there are a number of books, including
a "For Dummies" book and online resources for learning to use
DotNetNuke.  They even have a conference called DotNetNuke OpenForce.

There are a wide variety of modules that can be plugged into a site.
You can see a wide range of them at http://www.snowcovered.com.  Since
DotNetNuke is free but not open source, most developers charge for their
products though most do not charge much for very clever products.

There is a large community at http://www.dotnetnuke.com and each module
developer usually has a community of his/her own.

There are also a large number of DotNetNuke hosting services that you
can use should you not want to host the site yourself.

The one module I cannot find is a decent Event Calendar/Room Management
module.  We have "crammed" the E*vanced solution into the site as the
least unsatisfactory solution.

I highly recommend anyone looking at a CMS to seriously consider
DotNetNuke.

Michael Champion
Head, Information Technology Services
Lake Villa District Library