[Web4lib] CMS (Content Management System)

Lynne Jones mljones at btinternet.com
Tue Oct 30 17:45:12 EDT 2007

Re:

Hi Elizabeth

Gosh yes in my view - have now left libraries to go into web design as I
used web techniques so much for a variety of applications that I developed
the skills. Anyway after working in libraries for 20 years decided a change
would do me good (plus which I love working from home!)

However it occurred to me early on that web applications rely heavily on
library skills and learning how to use a cms can almost be a shortcut as you
can focus on using that for your services without (at first) having to dig
too deep into html - although that does help. Setup routines have come on a
great deal and related forums can baby step you through the tricky bits.
Also it democratises the web and enables you to focus on organising
information - library work - first and foremost.

I recently won a web design contract, helped, I think by the fact that I was
a librarian (probably still am in my bones!). It's for a village community
and is requiring me to organise local history material etc etc.

Web apps help you control and organise info - whether it be books or
websites or staff manuals or staff timesheets. That's what librarians do.

There's probably nothing new here but just feel pretty passionately that
it's time that these skills became a basic requirement for library staff -
and aren't left to the "IT Librarian" alone (often regarded as some kind of
magician by other librarians!).

Sorry to go on - but in a nutshell - a big yes!

Good luck - hope you do it

Regards
Lynne