[Web4lib] New OCLC Report: _Sharing, Privacy and Trust in Our Networked World_

Gerry Mckiernan gerrymck at iastate.edu
Wed Oct 24 12:23:35 EDT 2007

***APOLOGIES FOR RECEIPT OF DUPLICATE POSTINGS***
Friends/

In case there were doubts that a SeaChange is UnderWay [:-)
[ http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-sea1.htm ]

/Gerry

 _Sharing, Privacy and Trust in Our Networked World_

[ http://www.oclc.org/reports/sharing/ ]

The practice of using a social network to establish and enhance
relationships based on some common ground-shared interests, related
skills, or a common geographic location-is as old as human societies,
but social networking has flourished due to the ease of connecting on
the Web. This OCLC membership report explores this web of social
participation and cooperation on the Internet and how it may impact the
library*s role, including:

The use of social networking, social media, commercial and library
services on the Web
How and what users and librarians share on the Web and their attitudes
toward related privacy issues
Opinions on privacy online
Libraries* current and future roles in social networking

The report is based on a survey (by Harris Interactive on behalf of
OCLC) of the general public from six countries-Canada, France, Germany,
Japan, the United Kingdom and the United States-and of library directors
from the U.S. The research provides insights into the values and
social-networking habits of library users.

Print copies of the report will be available for order on Monday,
October 29.

Download the complete report [PDF: 8905K]

Download individual sections of the report:

Introduction [PDF: 683K]
Our Digital Lives [PDF: 1044K]
Our Social Spaces [PDF: 2576K]
Privacy, Security and Trust [PDF: 903K]
U.S. Library Directors [PDF: 1490K]
Libraries and Social Networking [PDF: 374K]
Beyond the Numbers [PDF: 1018K]
Report Highlights [PDF: 597K]
Conclusion [PDF: 105K]
Appendix A: College Students in Our Networked World [PDF: 1091K]
Appendix B: Glossary [PDF: 209K]
Appendix C: People Consulted [PDF: 98K]
Appendix D: Readings and Other Sources [PDF: 236K]
Appendix E: About OCLC [PDF: 251K]
Appendix F: Comparative Timeline [PDF: 2094K]

Regards,

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan
Associate Professor
Science and Technology Librarian
Iowa State University Library
Ames IA 50011

!!! Social Networking is People !!!
[ http://www.facebook.com/p/Gerry_McKiernan/16926735  ]

Iowa: Where the Tall Corn Flows and the (North)West Wind Blows ...
[ http://alternativeenergyblogs.blogspot.com/ ]