[Web4lib] Libraries, OCA, Google make first page of the NYT

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Mon Oct 22 15:23:15 EDT 2007

 From what I heard (when this was discussed the next day) was that they
haven't entirely figured out what to do about the copyright issue, but
they are definitely NOT likely to impose actual DRM on the files. There
was something said about including a notice, something like the "Xerox
machine" notice, that alerts users to the fact that the item may be
under copyright. I also may have heard (or I could be mixing things up)
that they'll focus on out-of-print items. This makes me think that it'll
  run into the "orphan works" issue, which has been much discussed but
not resoled.

kc

B.G. Sloan wrote:

>   I thought the final paragraph of the article was very interesting:
>
>   "On Wednesday the Internet Archive announced, together with the Boston Public Library and the library of the Marine Biological Laboratory and Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, that it would start scanning out-of-print but in-copyright works to be distributed through a digital interlibrary loan system."
>
>   I couldn't find a mention on the OCA web site about how they are tackling the copyright issue when it comes to scaning in-copyright out-of-print books?
>
>   Bernie Sloan
>
> "K.G. Schneider" <kgs at bluehighways.com> wrote:
>   http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/22/technology/22library.html
>
> Wow! (I blogged it, too)