[Web4lib] re:Starting an IM Reference service

Jocelyn Shaw redfernshaw at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 13:38:23 EDT 2007

Hi,

I'm at a public library, so your mileage may vary...

We have offered IM reference for nearly 4 years now.  The reference
librarian on duty handles the IM questions.  We have it available when the
library is open.

I started out with Trillian because we could have the major players in one
interface (Google IM was not an issue at the time and I haven't really done
anthing about it at this point).  I looked into Meebo when it first came
out, but sometimes the other ref librarians close down the browser windows
without thinking about it.  With Trillian I can set it up to open when the
computer is turned on.  I don't have to worry about whether or not the first
person at reference remembers to open it up.  As at your institution, some
of us are more comfortable with technology than others, so I wanted it to be
as easy to use as possible.  The non-techy people don't even have to think
about it.  I also put a plugoo widget on our web page so someone without
their own IM account could IM us.

Getting other staff on board is indeed tricky.  I had them IM me a couple of
times to get the feel for it.  One of them is still leery, but she is doing
better.

Our library is in a community of just under 50,000.  Mostly working class,
inner city.  We don't have a lot of IM requests, although they have been
picking up in the last month or so.

I hope this helps.

Jocelyn

Jocelyn Shaw
Reference Librarian, Gov Docs Librarian, Web Person, Adult programming
coordinator
Hackley Public Library
316 W Webster Ave
Muskegon MI 49440