[Web4lib] Starting an IM Reference service

Jonathan Bloy JBloy at edgewood.edu
Tue Oct 16 11:33:33 EDT 2007

A colleague and I would like to implement instant message reference service at our library.  We've got a few questions and would like to get some wisdom from the list.

Staffing:  This is our main concern.  We're a small college library (2400 students, 6 full-time librarians, 2 part-time) and are wondering how similar libraries staff their IM service.  Does the librarian on duty at the reference desk also handle the IM?

Hours:  Is your IM reference available during all library hours?  What about during times when there is just one librarian on duty (which covers weekends and evenings at our library)?

Technologies:  We're currently playing around with a Meebo account.  For libraries using Meebo, do you also have accounts on the major IM services (i.e. AIM, MSN, Yahoo, etc.) for student convenience?

Getting other staff on board: What's the best strategy for getting staff that might not be as technologically savvy on board and involved?

--
Jonathan Bloy
Web Services Librarian