[Web4lib] An Analysis Of Open Source ILS Market Penetration

Bob Molyneux drdata at molyneux.com
Tue Oct 16 10:19:42 EDT 2007

Rick Mason smoked me out. Yep, I worked for SirsiDynix as its Chief
Statistician--up until May 9, 2007 when I was laid off. But before being
evil vendor-scum, I had a life in the library world he has somehow
completely missed in his expert searching. For 20+ years, I have compiled
and analyzed library data as well as having a life in IT. I suggest my
book, Internet Under the Hood as a good (albeit a bit dated) introduction
to networking and the Internet for LIS students. A bit more checking might
find that many of the library data series I have worked on are available on
the Internet for folks to use. There was a reason Sirsi hired me.

My library data work has largely involved compiling longitudinal data and
analyzing them. It is something I do. A sensible person might exclaim in
horror: "Why would anyone do THAT?" To look at trends. Trends start
somewhere and it is a fact that we often don't know when things start in
the library world and that makes subsequent analysis untidy. I submit we
now have a begin data on objectively studying the impact of open source
ILSs--although a better one will follow in a bit when the NCES updates the
public and academic library data. The LISNews post is the beta. I hope to
make this report a regular...say every six months. In five years the barge
may have picked up some steam.

When I was still at SirsiDynix, I talked to Marshall Breeding, whose great
work at lib-web-cats I have relied on for this analysis, about doing a
similar analysis tracing all ILS vendors using not just counts but some
other measures such as circulations, population served (which public
librarians seem to prefer), or maybe expenditures--like I did here. This
kind of analysis would give a different view than counts because of the
skewed nature of library distributions, simple counts don't give the whole
picture. I thought it would make a helpful addition to his work. In any
case, I have asked Marshall again for data from lib-web-cats that would
enable me to do that relatively rapidly and on a regular basis. He measures
which library has which ILS differently from the way I did, of course, but
I think that is addressable.

I have written to Dan Scott separately to apologize for including
Laurentian as having a "relationship" with Equinox. I misinterpreted it and
I regret it.

"This isn't to suggest that any of his data is suspect." Well, thank you.
They are, I believe, correct but errare humanum est. I have citations for
you to check and if you can't do the math, I can send spreadsheets. All
sources are available on the Web. If there are errors, I want to know about
them so I can correct them.

Bob Molyneux
drdata at molyneux.com
XyWrite forever!
0x 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0