[Web4lib] An Analysis Of Open Source ILS Market Penetration

Rick Mason rcmason at rsproductions.net
Mon Oct 15 20:18:36 EDT 2007

One thing that struck me was how Molyneux starts off by pointing out the
"relationship" between Equinox and two early adopters of Evergreen (also
note that the first comment to the  one of those two "relationships").

I was curious, did a quick Google search, and found this:
http://tinyurl.com/27axl9

Same person?  The only reason this seems significant to me is because he
pointed out those relationships in his introduction, but doesn't mention
his own with SirsiDynix (assuming they are the same person).

This isn't to suggest that any of his data is suspect.  In fact, his
numbers seem correct at first glance.  Evergreen is brand new, and
companies offering support for either product are also relatively
recent.  Most libraries are involved with multi-year ILS contracts, and
the process of switching to a different ILS is complex and time
consuming.  Assuming that Koha and Evergreen are wildly successful,
their growth will still be relatively slow based on the time and effort
involved to switch.

A comment that I saw mentioned on another list (NGC4lib) seems
appropriate: "It'll be interesting to see how this table compares to one
in a year from now." (credit to Deb Bergeron)  I personally think that
five years will be the really interesting version of the table.

Rick Mason