[Web4lib] An Analysis Of Open Source ILS Market Penetration

Andrew Cunningham andrewc at vicnet.net.au
Mon Oct 15 19:09:08 EDT 2007

Abramson, Alicia wrote:
> I agree with Karen's point--there has to be more of a proven
> infrastructure that supports Open Source ILS' before more than a handful
> of bleeding edge of libraries can adopt them.

ɪʲd argue that most public libraries in our state are not in a position
to migrate to an opensource ILS. They have neither the staff nor the
capacity. I suspect that sufficient critical mass of more adventurous
libraries willing to sharing their learnings will be required first. And
consortia approaches (including sufficient IT support) would help.

That said, migration to an opensource ILS has quite a few positives.

One of the issues I have with most ILS vendors is the web interface into
their systems. If I were to evaluate an ILS product based on its web
interface according to mandatory state government web publishing
guidelines, I'd have to reject most of the products as non-compliant.

At least with opensource solutions it is possible to enhance the web
absed user interfaces.

Opensource solutions also offer a glimmer of hope for a better
internationalised product.

Andrew
--
Andrew Cunningham
Research and Development Coordinator (Vicnet)

Email: andrewc+AEA-vicnet.net.au
Alt. email: lang.support+AEA-gmail.com

Ph: +613-8664-7430                    Fax:+613-9639-2175
Mob: 0421-450-816

http://www.slv.vic.gov.au/            http://www.vicnet.net.au/
http://www.openroad.net.au/           http://www.mylanguage.gov.au/
http://home.vicnet.net.au/~andrewc/