[Web4lib] An Analysis Of Open Source ILS Market Penetration

Emele Dykes edykes at gvpl.ca
Mon Oct 15 14:11:58 EDT 2007

Karen & Bill,

I'd agree with your statements.  It's a slow moving barge but I don't
think you're seeing it up to steam yet.  Let me share my take on what is
happening with libraries in my province, British Columbia, Canada.

Our province has a type of library board that influences all of the
libraries in our province.  The province noted that some of the smaller
libraries who had been on some older SirsiDynix ILS were going to be
suffering due to lack of support for their systems, and knowing that the
small libraries didn't have the capacity to deal with major changes to
technology, the province stepped in and made a strategic partnership
with Evergreen.  As far as I know, some of these small libraries should
have already switched over to Evergreen this fall.  In addition the
province made a blanket statement about wanting all libraries in the
province to embrace Evergreen within 5 years.

Interestingly enough there has been no mention from management at our
library about Evergreen but I am aware that our CEO is apart of the
provincial group that deals with the Evergreen plan.  I suspect in a few
years when our contract with Innovative comes up for renewal that
discussions will occur within our library about ILS choice.  In addition
I suspect that there will be a strong push for Evergreen, and that
budget money from the province might be tied to our choice of ILS (ie
pick Evergreen or lost funding).

On the other hand, I suspect and hope that a few years down the road
Evergreen will be a robust enough system (and its kinks worked out)
that  a large and busy library system like ours could successfully adopt
it.

Perhaps I might compare the adoption of open source ILS systems to a
slow moving freight train heading up a hill.  By no means has the hill
been crested, and by no means is the train at full steam.  The train is
still building power and speed.  You can't even see all the workings
going on inside of it but engineers are busy adding fuel to its fire,
and when the train crests the hill it is going to come barreling down
the other side faster then many suspect it was capable of.

Emele Dykes, B.Comm.
Web & Database Administrator
Greater Victoria Public Library
http://www.gvpl.ca

e-mail: edykes at gvpl.ca
phone:  (250) 413-0352 x261

"Do not adjust you mind, it is reality that is malfunctioning."