[Web4lib] widening center content - margin property

Raumin "Ray" Dehghan infoscience1 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 14:14:29 EDT 2007

Colleagues:

   I am sending a modified form of a message I recently sent.

  I am frankly confused about how margins are working, especially in regard
to center content  in my site.

   In the css file among listed below, I am trying to get the center
material, which is a picture with a paragraph of gibberish below, to expand
horizontally to the right so that it fills the white space currently there.

   the center material is located in the div#content

   div#content is located inside another div#wrapper

  I have been experimenting by changing the values in div#content.

When I made the right margin value in #content 200px, the center content
moved under the left nav bar.

When I made the right margin value in #content 100px, the center content
then expanded, but a bit more than i wanted.

I have been trying to read up on it, but I'm not sure how this margin
property works?

here is the html:

http://www.westchicago.lib.il.us/R/stuff/newlayout/wcpld_b1.html

below is the css and the javascript file:

http://www.westchicago.lib.il.us/R/stuff/newlayout/layout2.css

http://www.westchicago.lib.il.us/R/stuff/newlayout/wcpld.js

Thank you very much for any help.

Sincerely,