[Web4lib] anyone use ExpressionEngine?

Chris Barr christopher.barr at villanova.edu
Wed Oct 10 12:16:15 EDT 2007

Hi Tana,

I haven't used Expression Engine myself, but after exploring the demo
(http://expressionengine.com/sales/try) it appears to be a flexible
blogging system. It allows you to use separate templates for things like
categories to make blog entries turn into pages, and it is also
expandable through plug-ins or "modules".

On the whole, Expression Engine would be comparable to two *free* &
*open source* projects with fairly large user bases: Textpattern
(http://www.textpattern.com/) and MovableTypeOS
(http://www.movabletype.org/opensource/). I have used Textpattern on
multiple projects in the past and have found it's template system very
designer friendly, allowing you to create whole sites, rather than just
blogs. I run this personal art project with TextPattern,
(interruptions.org). You can find reviews online comparing Textpattern,
Movabletype, and Expression Engine, but for my money I would go with the
open source project that does most (if not all or more) and has a large
user base.

There are of course downsides of using blog software to manage your
website. Simply the fact that everything is so date based, rather than
organized through hierarchy, can become troublesome as the site grows.
Additionally, these systems won't have the community features of moral
portal-like systems, such as Drupal or Mambo. (Though those systems
often need stripped down, unless you want your site to look like Slashdot.)

If you have you are handy with HTML and can understand how to use
templates I would suggest what I think is currently the most flexible OS
content management system available at the moment, ModX
(http://www.modxcms.com/). It want give you the portal-in-a-box that
other systems will, but it is *extremely flexible*, allowing you create
for custom data fields and matching them with appropriate templates. I
run another art thingy with ModX, (temporaryaudio.org). Though it looks
simple this would have been difficult (in my mind) to create using a
more blog-like system. The hierarchical system made a lot more sense and
the ability to endlessly create custom fields for various data-types is
fantastic.

You can demo most of these open source systems at (opensourcecms.com).

Best,
Chris
Villanova University