[Web4lib] MARC to XML: the agony and the ecstasy

Christopher Harris infomancy at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 10:03:26 EDT 2007

I think the key here is to talk about XML as being real English. The title
is labeled as the title and only has the title (not a string of title and
statement of responsibility). The number of pages is the number of pages and
doesn't talk about col. ill. This lets us speak in English in our catalogs -
in our Fish4Info portal we have stripped MARC out into XML to allow us to
display authors with first name first, show the number of pages, and just be
a lot more friendly - http://fish4info.org/avo-h/node/8406. This also lets
us pull bits of data out and use them again to show page numbers and what
not on book reviews - http://fish4info.org/avo-h/node/8572.

I think one of the challenges you are going to face is that XML isn't the
answer to your question. The answer is SQL or some other decent and open
database. XML is the transmission and display technology, but the real power
is that it is so much easier to rip into a database to be called by dymanic
websites. One of the biggest problems with MARC isn't MARC itself (though it
has real issues) but with the closed nature of databases in library systems
after the MARC records are finally parsed out.

chris

Chris Harris - infomancy at gmail.com - http://schoolof.info/infomancy