[Web4lib] The Really Modern Library

B.G. Sloan bgsloan2 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 8 20:04:07 EDT 2007

  Excerpts from the "Really Modern Library" blog entry:

  "The goal of this project is to shed light on the big questions about future accessibility and usability of analog culture in a digital, networked world."

  "Our aim with the Really Modern Library project is not to build a physical or even a virtual library, but to stimulate new thinking about mass digitization and, through the generation of inspiring new designs, interfaces and conceptual models, to spur innovation in publishing, media, libraries, academia and the arts."

  The blog entry also mentions "plans for a major international design competition calling for proposals, sketches, and prototypes for a hypothetical 'really modern library.' " The blog entry goes on to describe this competiton as follows:

  "The call for entries will go out to as broad a community as possible, including designers, artists, programmers, hackers, librarians, archivists, activists, educators, students and creative amateurs. Our present intent is to raise a large sum of money to administer the competition and to have a pool for prizes that is sufficiently large and meaningful that it can compel significant attention from the sort of minds we want working on these problems."

  For more info, go to:

  http://www.futureofthebook.org/blog/archives/2007/10/the_really_modern_library.html

  Bernie Sloan
  (Thanks to Eric Lease Morgan for mentioning this on the NGC4LIB list!!!)