[Web4lib] Unmoderated posts on your site?

B.G. Sloan bgsloan2 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 29 18:35:31 EST 2007

  I regularly see blogs that weed out spam using 'captcha" technologies.

  Bernie Sloan

Rick Mason <rcmason at rsproductions.net> wrote:
  Hi Colleen,

My suggestion, at least for your blogs, is to moderate. I am inclined to agree with you about the group being able to handle most "mean people" (and extreme cases can be banned when needed), but there is another factor: Spam.

Blogs are attracting spam like crazy. Think about what you get in a standard e-mail account without spam filtering. Certain medicinal substances, personal services, and overseas financial transactions dominate blog spam in the same way they dominate e-mail spam.

I suggest that you figure out what a reasonable turnover for moderating comments will be based on your staff workload, then incorporate a message letting users know that their comments may not show up for ##minutes/hours/days.

Hope this helps!

Rick Mason

http://blog.librarysupportstaff.org/