[Web4lib] Unmoderated posts on your site?

Tim Spalding tim at librarything.com
Thu Nov 29 18:02:44 EST 2007

The solution to spam is simple. Turn on whatever automatic
stumbling-stones you have (eg., captchas) and get the comments sent to
your email. Now and then you'll have to delete some spam comment. The
two blogs I run are pretty high-profile (Page Rank 6 in Google-speak),
and I probably get 2-5 spams per day. You'll probably get fewer.
They're easy to get rid of—the price of doing business. Now and then
you have to chip gum off the bottoms of the tables; you still have
tables.

I don't think you run that much risk of other abuse. And by not
moderating you send a powerful message of openness. Conversely, by
moderating comments you hobble or kill what you're trying to do, and
certainly reinforce a lot of bad stereotypes.

Tim

Check out my library at http://www.librarything.com/profile/timspalding