[Web4lib] Amazon's Kindle e-book reader

Robert L. Balliot rballiot at oceanstatelibrarian.com
Thu Nov 29 09:33:03 EST 2007

Interesting -

I am not sure if people who will spend $400 for a book reader would have
been the people waiting in a queue to get a book from the public library.

However, with the price of housing, fuel, health care, and education
becoming unaffordable luxuries - it may be that the only symbolic luxuries
open to the masses will be a costly handheld device and an expensive cup of
coffee.

A common theme uniting libraries has been our tendency to work toward the
goal of benefiting everyone with our services - including the most
vulnerable.  The commitment of equal service to all and sharing our wealth
is an important legacy of American public libraries.

It seems to be more and more difficult to find another private or public
entity that does not equate quality of service with ability to pay or social
status.

When we read about people trying to fund Sunday hours, library services
being cut back, and the ongoing struggle to provide equal service to all
when those who have the least lose the most, it can be hard to remain
optimistic.

Here is a great presentation by Larry Brilliant of http://google.org
 on why we should be:

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/177