[Web4lib] E-reader future?

Thomas, Susan Elaine suethoma at iusb.edu
Wed Nov 28 17:05:13 EST 2007

I have also greatly enjoyed the discussion on e-readers and e-books.  In the past year and a half I have been researching the e-book phenomenon. It is truly fascinating to see that there are folks who truly like this medium, and reassuring to see so many, especially on this particular listserv, who favor paper. The article from the high school student this morning was really insightful because there seem to be a lot of predictions that the future generations won't have any problems with this new medium.

I am always intrigued by predictions on how our future will look and always wonder where the data came from to support the prediction stated.

Price of the item was of course mentioned along with the cost to view each book.  But I did not see any postings that mentioned the digital divide issue.  When the cost of living increases more than my last raise it seems silly to even talk or think about purchasing such a device when I am having a difficult time even affording groceries.  I rarely buy books because I prefer to check them out of the library.  So it makes me wonder how those who are less affluent than I am view this product.  Do they know how to read, do they read at all?  Do they have books in their home, for their children?  I have heard and read stats on these factors and they tend to be disheartening.

New technology is truly great, especially for the more technically inclined user.  But the vast majority of the world can't afford it.  At least not given present day circumstances.  Truth be told I would be surprised(and intrigued) to learn how many consumers who have purchased a Kindle actually paid cash for it instead of opting for financing either from a personal loan, money from a second mortgage, or credit card.  And if they did pay cash for it, was it at the expense of something else?

Of course the impact the device has on reading comprehension and ability is also still in play and has not been fully researched.  There is some research indicating that reading in a computerized environment slows comprehension, and reading on an LCD panel is documented to slow reading speed.  So will the push to infuse our classrooms and society with technology (which remains unaffordable to many) just serve to makes us all slower and dumber?

One person also noted that current e-readers serve certain types of reading materials well, but not necessarily for books on art or photography.

E-books and e-readers are complex issues with many sides and many definite opinions. To fully consider their usefulness, and perhaps their future, definitely requires more research and technological development.

Susan Thomas
suethoma at iusb.edu