[Web4lib] Amazon's Kindle e-book reader

Watts, Richard rwatts at lib.sbcounty.gov
Wed Nov 28 12:05:09 EST 2007

I was watching Andy Rooney on 60 Minutes last Sunday (After all, I'm old
enough to be in the target demographic)
http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/i_video/main500251.shtml?id=3538311n&cha
nnel=/sections/60minutes/rooney/videoplayer3419.shtml

He was discussing people carrying large bags or wearing backpacks on the
streets of New York. He asked them about what was inside.  Most of the
women seemed to be carrying bottled water and planners (though they
appeared to be the old-fashioned paper and ink kind).  However, what
they all seemed to have was at least one book (again, the old-fashioned
paper kind).  Some were probably even bookmarked with those arcane
objects once known as bookmarks.

Rooney conclude that there must be a lot of book reading going on
(though certainly not on company time). However, these people seemed to
be young professionals on the streets of Manhattan, so what do they
know?

I'm afraid that if I had $400 burning a hole in my pocket, I would
probably spend it on something like depositing it in my Roth in
anticipation of my looming retirement, or maybe going to visit my
grandson, instead of buying a Kindle. But we all have our own
priorities.

If you feel like sending me an anti-Luddite flame, I am at least
techno-savvy enough to know how to use the delete key in my e-mail
program.

Richard Watts

San Bernardino County Library, Calif.