[Web4lib] Electronic Book - A Young Person's View

NORMA JEAN HEWLETT hewlett at usfca.edu
Tue Nov 27 22:36:01 EST 2007

This article appeared in my local paper today.
Jean Hewlett, Univ. of San Francisco

Santa Rosa [CA] Press Democrat, Nov. 277, 2007
http://www1.pressdemocrat.com/article/20071127/NEWS/711270308&SearchID=
73300770141313

Changing technology has yet to beat a book
By NATALIE KIDD, 16
URSULINE HIGH SCHOOL, JUNIOR
It occurred to me recently, while perusing my favorite local
bookstore, that reading, in the traditional sense, is slowly becoming
a dead subject.

At first I was perplexed that I could come to such a realization while
wandering around a room filled with thousands upon thousands of books,
but then I recalled what I saw advertised between those thousands and
thousands of books. Apparently, there is this new electronic device
out that saves you the strenuous hassle of turning book pages.

Instead of books taking up space in your home, you buy this open-book
shaped device, insert one of the many memory devices that contain the
books you would like to read, and voila! The book appears on the
screen!

Now at first, I was fascinated by this new-fangled contraption that
would save me many milliseconds in the future, and wanted one right
away. But then I paused, and thought about what I would miss out on by
purchasing this electronic device.
[continues on web page above]