[Web4lib] Amazon's Kindle e-book reader

Richard Wiggins richard.wiggins at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 16:58:25 EST 2007

So every time another Web4liber pipes up about the Amazon Kindle, Google
Gmail pipes up with this ad:

    The Reader. From Sony(R) - Sonystyle.com - Ultimate Digital Reading
Experience on an impressive paper-like display

So it seems promising -- seems to be the same sort of electronic ink
technology that Kindle uses.  And it supports PDF and image formats and
non-DRMed audio formats.

And it uses, sigh and sigh, the Memory Stick.  I thought Sony had admitted
the error of their ways when they came out with a D-SLR that, believe it or
not, both has Memory Stick and Compact Flash slots.

Sony is a company I love to hate.  I've owned a boatload of their
camcorders, especially, but also digicams and music players and whatever.
There was no reason for Sony to invent Memory Stick, at the point in history
when they chose to do so.  Sony has some of the smartest engineers on Earth
but the sometimes engineer some silly stuff.

/rich