[Web4lib] RSS and diacritics

Bob Duncan duncanr at lafayette.edu
Tue Nov 27 14:56:56 EST 2007

Greetings,

I'm getting ready to offer RSS feeds for our library's recent
acquisitions lists and have run into a little snag:  characters with
diacritics.  I understand why I can't use HTML character entity
references and expect all feed readers to play nicely, so I tried
encoding the ampersand in the HTML entity reference (a suggested fix
that I can no longer document).  While this works great for some feed
readers, other readers and the two major browsers display the raw
code instead of the character with diacritical mark.

Other than displaying plain letters without diacritics, is there a
way to code feeds so that all (or at least most) feed readers will
display the character with the mark?  (I'd like to be able to this in
item titles and descriptions.)

Thanks,

Bob Duncan

Robert E. Duncan