[Web4lib] Re: [lita-l] Equipment Checkout Software that Handles Pools

Andrew K. Pace andrew_pace at ncsu.edu
Tue Nov 27 13:46:52 EST 2007

Chris,
Why not use your integrated library system?  It circs, it holds, it
notifies....why reinvent the wheel? That's what we do at NCSU.  We
simply create a bibliographic record for each model device and then an
item/barcode record for each item.  In the case of laptops, we have an
added entry field which ties the item back to our IT inventory barcode
as well so we can keep things in synch.
More details on our lending service are here:
http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/learningcommons/devices.html

-Andrew

Cox, Christopher N. wrote:

> Has anyone purchased a software package or written something to handle
> their equipment checkout?  At UW-Eau Claire we circulate laptops,
> digital cameras, and video cameras as well as rooms,  and need a
> product which can handle varying borrowing periods and online
> reservations as well as handle pools of items (we have 100 laptops for
> rent and want students to be able to reserve one, but not necessarily
> reserve a particular one).  We currently have a homegrown system which
> has failed twice in the last month and is no longer being maintained
> by the author.  Any ideas would be appreciated.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Chris.
>

> Christopher Cox
>
> Assistant Director of Libraries
>
> Editor, Internet Reference Services Quarterly
>
> University of Wisconsin - Eau Claire
>
> 105 Garfield Avenue
>
> Eau Claire, WI 54702-4004
>
> Phone:  (715) 836-4454
>
> Fax:  (715) 836-2949
>
> Email:  coxcn at uwec.edu

Andrew K. Pace, M.S.L.S.
Head, Information Technology ~ NCSU Libraries
North Carolina State University ~ Raleigh, NC
Columnist, American Libraries
andrew_pace at ncsu.edu ~ 919-515-3087
http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/staff/pace