[Web4lib] Movable Type or Wordpress MU for multiple library blogs?

Douglas Goans libdgg at langate.gsu.edu
Tue Nov 27 09:45:40 EST 2007

Georgia State University Library will be testing Wordpress MU <http://mu.wordpress.org/ > as an upgrade to our current blogging system
< http://www.library.gsu.edu/news/ > which was built in-house several years ago.

A group of our librarians will be going over the system in the next couple of months and I can report back what happens if anyone is interested.

-Doug

Doug Goans
Web Development Librarian
Georgia State University Library
100 Decatur St.
Atlanta. GA 30303
Tel: (404) 413 2772
Fax: (404) 651-4315

>>> "Emily Molanphy" <emolanphy at gmail.com> 11/27/2007 9:30 AM >>>
I was wondering if anyone had any experiences to share running multiple
blogs for their library on either MT or Wordpress MU. We would like to start
several blogs, each with multiple authors. The first one would be for
internal communication and later we'd create others to communicate with
library users. Some authors would write for more than one blog, and the
different blogs should probably have different templates. Also, I'd like to
be able to maintain the blogs (in terms of spam blocking, etc.) as a group,
rather than each individually.

Personally, I have a bit more experience with Wordpress, and would prefer
not to have to commit to a cap on the total number of users (authors) before
we know how the project plays out--which I think MT's nonprofit license
would force us to do. Notwithstanding my preferences, I think we should
still consider other options, including MT.

Does anyone have positive or negative things to say about running either
system? Are there any other options that people have used successfully?

Emily Molanphy
Web Services Librarian
NYU Health Sciences Libraries