[Web4lib] FRBR and beyond - can you draw it?

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Tue Nov 27 05:00:16 EST 2007

Some of the ideas in FRBR are starting to become visible in
websites like worldcat.org.

But we're still far from the future, and I think a limiting factor
is in our imagination.  On worldcat.org, you still see a web page
with one library catalog card on it.  There are some tabs for
other editions, and the search result page groups the hits by
author, language or publishing year.  But the result page is a
still a flat list of hits, and each hit is a essentially a catalog
card.  This is how we still imagine a library search website.

But imagine we could have a really big paper where we could draw a
mind-map of how these editions are connected.  Limited versions of
that vision are found in some FRBR slide presentations, but these
slides are so small.

Clear the table, cover it with a really big, blank paper and grab
the finest pencil.  This work was written by this author, edited
and printed by this publisher.  Then this person translated it to
that language.  This actor with a smooth voice recorded an audio
book of it.  But the 2nd edition of that audio book contained some
corrections.  The next printed edition had illustrations by this
artist, who had previously also illustrated a work by author B.
Authors A and B did not only have the same illustrator, but the
same actor recorded audio books for booth.  After some years, the
illustrator and audio book recording actor teamed up and formed a
company, since they liked to work with the same authors.  Can you
draw that?

Now imagine we're surfing over this huge paper, as if it was
Google Maps.  It doesn't have to be entirely flat.  Subcategories
could fold in and out, but at any one point we'd see more than
just one library catalog card.  At the center of the screen might
be one illustrated edition, but from there we'd see a line going
to the illustrator and further on to the next book illustrated by
the same person.  If we zoom out a bit, each edition becomes just
a dot, but we could get a clearer view of the larger pattern of
translations and adaptions.

Has anybody done even a demo, a prototype of this?

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)