[Web4lib] PLATO?

Gerry Mckiernan gerrymck at iastate.edu
Thu Nov 22 14:39:12 EST 2007

Ward/List

Wikipedia has the details

[ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PLATO]

I was in library school at the time and had an opportunity to briefly use PLATO - It was Magic/Magical ... !

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan
Associate Professor
Science and Technology Librarian
Iowa State University Library
Ames IA 50011

!!! Social Networking is People !!!
[ http://www.facebook.com/p/Gerry_McKiernan/16926735  ]

Iowa: Where the Tall Corn Flows and the (North)West Wind Blows ...
[ http://alternativeenergyblogs.blogspot.com/ ]

>>> "Ward Price" <wprice at utpa.edu> 11/21/2007 7:24 PM >>>
We've been discussing gaming in libraries recently, which caused a
flashback.  When I was an undergraduate student at Indiana University,
perhaps around 1974-75, the University of Illinois had something called
PLATO, which was some kind of ancient Internet game or program running
at their campus in Urbana-Champaign.  IU students in Bloomington,
Indiana, would go to the library and log on via an Internet connection
(I guess they were telnetting) to UIUC to play the game.  I had no idea
what they were doing back then; the Internet was only about 5 years old
at the time, fifteen years before the World Wide Web.  The IU students
who were using it thought it was pretty cool.  I wonder what they'd
think about it now.  Anyway, does this sound familiar?  Does anyone know
what the heck I'm talking about?  Just curious.

Ward Price

Reference Librarian

The University of Texas-Pan American

Edinburg, TX  78541