[Web4lib] Amazon's Kindle e-book reader

Grace J. Agnew gagnew at rci.rutgers.edu
Wed Nov 21 10:16:27 EST 2007

Andrew,

I'm not sure about this.  I agree that a better business model is focus
on niche markets, as I stated in an earlier post.  We also need to
understand how much of a cultural icon the book is, the needs that it
serves beyond the mere reading.  I get a "little lift" every time I
enter my door and see all my books, on their shelves, that surround me.
And I am sure I am not the only one who makes a beeline for the
bookshelves in a stranger's house to see what kind of person he or she
is.  Book as artifact of life may change and become quaint, and we may
be looking at what is displayed on flat screens to gauge our new
acquaintances, but I am not sure the change will be fast, or that the
dropping of the Kindler e-reader price to $50 will make it happen more
quickly.

However, as a former public librarian, I was thinking that a great niche
market would be precisely to replace all those best sellers that public
libraries had to buy or lease in multiple copies, but a year later,
couldn't even give them away in a booksale.  I hate to think how many
hard cover Danielle Steeles (or Steels, depending on the year) are
adding to landfill.  In a large public library, it might be cost
effective to loan out the kindles along with the books, just to zip
through the hold queue and release the book back into the ether.  My
sister owns a used bookstore and she literally can't give away the old
best sellers that had their moment but simply aren't the books you read
twice.  She's thinking about donating them to prisons now that even the
hospitals and court waiting rooms are refusing them.

I remember McNaughton lease books as being a lot of work, between
maintaining the subscription, guesttimating the number of copies needed,
shelving them, etc.  The Kindle and its ilk could be a lifesaver for
those kinds of books.  And it sure helped to have a canny head of
collection development.  I remember when Rushdie's Satanic Verses came
out and the local bookstores refused to stock it, our advance holds went
through the roof, but we didn't buy that many copies.  I asked the head
of Collection Development if she was afraid of attracting terrorists if
they saw a mound of the books.  She said no, that she took an advance
copy home and the first chapter was almost incomprehensible.  She said
everyone who checked out the book to see what the fuss was about would
return it in a day or two when they couldn't get through the first
chapter and we would move through the hold queue quickly.  She was
right.  But that was one of the books we kept, in multiple copies, again
because she herself had read it past the first chapter.

All this talk of books gets me reminiscing!

Grace Agbew