Fwd: Re: [Web4lib] Amazon's Kindle e-book reader

Kyle Felker FelkerK at wlu.edu
Wed Nov 21 08:37:28 EST 2007

>I don't get it: who's talking about dumping iphones, blackberry's
etc...
>for this? It's an ebook reader, not a tricorder!

Think about it this way:  for $400, you can buy the Kindle, which reads
ebooks, and plays audiobooks and MP3 files.  It also has a limited web
browser.

OR

You can spend $99 on a low-end palm pilot, which can display ebooks,
play audio and MP3 files, and has a limited web browser. PLUS it can
organize your calendar, keep track of tasks and shopping lists, display
color pictures, etc.

Which purchase makes more sense?  *That's* the point people are trying
to make about Kindle versus multi-use gadgets.  It does less and it
costs more.  Amazon seems to be betting that people will think that
E-Ink display is worth the extra money.  I'm not sure they will.

-Kyle

Kyle Felker
Technology Coordinator
Washington and Lee University Library
Phone: 540-458-8653
Email: felkerk at wlu.edu
Chat: geeklibrary (aol) techbookgeek (yahoo)

Email: felkerk at wlu.edu
Chat: geeklibrary (aol) techbookgeek (yahoo)