[Web4lib] Amazon's Kindle e-book reader

Bob Rasmussen ras at anzio.com
Tue Nov 20 23:01:09 EST 2007

I have enjoyed reading the well thought out comments. Obviously there are
many factors that will play in to the success (or not) of these products.
I'd like to talk about the technologies involved.

The Amazon device sounds like it has a bistable monochrome screen. If so,
that makes it like the Sony Reader, a device you can see at the Sony Style
store in your local mall. An intriguing aspect of these is that the screen
consumes no power while it is static. It requires power only to "turn the
page". It is monochrome, however. As are most paperback books.

Another technology to watch is Organic Light Emitting Doides (OLEDs).
These are full-color devices; in fact, with very vibrant colors. They can
be produced on flexible plastic substrate, and they consume low power.
Imagine an e-book that you unroll to read. (I know, you could call them
ScrOLEDs).

Finally, there has been some work on very tiny projectors. Image a cell
phone or PDA, standing up on a tabletop, projecting an image of a book
page onto a plain white piece of paper.

But I still want books with moving pictures, like in the Harry Potter
movies. It could happen...

Regards,
....Bob Rasmussen,   President,   Rasmussen Software, Inc.

personal e-mail: ras at anzio.com
 company e-mail: rsi at anzio.com
            fax: (US) 503-624-0760
            web: http://www.anzio.com