[Web4lib] Random thoughts kindled by the Kindle

Bullen, Andrew Abullen at ILSOS.NET
Tue Nov 20 12:36:26 EST 2007

Thoughts on how an e-book system might work in a library setting, in my very very H.O.

A library (which, of course, can be bricks/mortar, virtual, etc.) purchases a title from a publisher for a small fee. When a patron/user/whatever of the library "checks out" the title, the publisher receives an additional small fee. The title is downloaded to an electronic device of some sort; the most useful type of device to my mind (reflecting my poor 47 year old eyes) would be something that is about A4 sized, either a tablet or digital paper. The title has an expiry of 2 weeks, or whatever the "loan" period is, renewable, of course. ILL can work in a similar manner. Another library is given temporary rights to a title you own.

This approach would work best for certain classes of titles: auto repair manuals, computer manuals, etc. I don't think that I would like to read a novel in this format. Taking it further, a library could subscribe to a publisher (Chilton, SAM, O'Reilly...) for ALL of their titles, available through the library's own catalog. Each title in the catalog would be available on demand, paid for only when used. For archival purposes, arrangements could be made with publishers so that titles that are born digital and never see the analog world could be deposited in a trusted repository for perpetuity (perhaps a new mission for the Center for Research Libraries?).

Library "cards" might instead become a registered device that could be accessed through SSL over the Internet, at a phone number, etc., or might be a token stored in a secure manner on a thumbdrive. "Checking out" a title would involve plugging the device into a USB port (or whatever the Next Big Thing is) and authenticating the user's privileges.

Obviously, this just in time library concept has a million holes in it; however, I DO think something like this will become a model of future libraries.

Thoughts before lunch...

Andrew Bullen
Illinois State Library
James R. Thompson Center