[Web4lib] Amazon's Kindle e-book reader

Roy Tennant tennantr at oclc.org
Tue Nov 20 10:24:12 EST 2007

It's nice that Jeff Bezos is such a nice guy. That and $3.40 (in California,
at least) will buy him a cup of coffee. The question is whether the Kindle
has a life. I still think it doesn't.

It gets kudos for the display that can be seen in sunlight and long battery
life. But I don't think those qualities are enough to overcome that you've
just spent $400 on something that only reads books. The device to which I
was alluding earlier was not a PC of any kind, but the iPhone. The iPhone
makes the Kindle look like last century's technology in a couple key ways.
One is simply the "wow" factor. I'm sorry, but I think the Kindle looks
dorky. If I'm not the only one, then who is going to want to be seen
carrying it around?

The other reason is more substantive. First Blackberries and now the iPhone
have demonstrated the kind of unification of functions that has been
predicted for many years -- you will no longer have a PDA and a phone and a
music player and perhaps even a laptop as separate devices -- they would be
all one. And the fact that the same amount of money will buy you either a
book reading device or a phone and a music player and a web browser and a
...makes the Kindle a complete non-starter in my book (sorry for the pun).
And to think folks were complaining about the price of the iPhone.
Roy