[Web4lib] Library Website Privacy Statement

Michelle Frisque mfrisque at northwestern.edu
Mon Nov 12 18:58:38 EST 2007

The Galter Health Sciences Library website includes many
customization features. When a user first logs into the site it is
already customized for them based on the specialty interest they
chose when they registered.  The specialty profile is created by
library staff. If the user did not like the resources in the
specialty profile they can customize the list by adding and deleting
resources. This site was launched over four years ago and we are
working on updating the customization features of our site. We want
to offer more user based recommendations. For instance show users
what other people in their specialty are including in their profiles
or what other pages on our site people in a specialty are using. We
also want to allow users to share resources and specialty profiles
with their colleagues. We also want to have some remembering systems.
If you always click on ILL article have that link appear in a
quicklinks list on their customized home page. Our users will be able
to opt out of these services. These additional features that we want
to add in the future go against our current privacy policy so I have
been asked to draft an updated policy for approval by Library
Administration, the Library Committee, etc. Do any of you have a
policy that you could share that I could use as a template or do you
know of one that may be helpful.

Thanks,

Michelle

Michelle Frisque