[Web4lib] Website Redesign

Caryn Anderson caryn.anderson at simmons.edu
Sat Nov 10 13:43:32 EST 2007

Hi Aubri,

I'm sorry that I cannot give you financial/staff estimates, but you
might consider contacting folks at the University of Washington School
of Information (http://www.ischool.washington.edu/) as I think you are
in Bellingham, WA, right?

I work at the Simmons Graduate School of Library and Information
Science (GSLIS) in Boston (http://www.simmons.edu/gslis). This
semester we have a team of 11 students working with faculty and staff
conducting a whole bunch of usability research (stakeholder
interviews, user personas, card sorting, paper prototyping and more)
to propose a new information architecture for the GSLIS website(s). It
has been *amazing*! We've been able to collect much more data than the
web services office would ever have been able to do on their own
(nearly 400 participations from key stakeholder groups in six
different activities so far). In addition, six of the students have
been doing additional academic work to get credit for the project as
an "independent study" (supervised by a participating faculty member).
Project wiki: http://gslis.simmons.edu/wikis/iaproject/

My point is that whatever budget/plan you come up with, I would
encourage you to take advantage of the graduate students at the School
of Information. If their students are anywhere near as motivated and
intelligent as ours at Simmons, you'll get an extraordinary amount of
useful data, feedback and guidance and know that you are giving your
future colleagues some invaluable learning experience.

Our project is currently restricted to the information architecture of
our sites, but you may find more technologically focused students to
help you with the more technical aspects of your endeavor as well.

If there are others in similar situations, I encourage you to talk to
the library and information science faculty and students near you.
There's a great list of programs that Tom Wilson has been keeping
(financial contributions are welcome I believe - and he deserves it):
http://informationr.net/wl/

And if you are a school, I'm happy to talk to you about how we managed
our highly successful project.

Cheers!
Caryn

--