[Web4lib] Reconsidering Library 2.0 ?

Tim Spalding tim at librarything.com
Sat Nov 3 17:35:12 EDT 2007

I understand the appeal of "moving past" technology to understand
"Library 2.0" as something deeper, something user-centered, and I
understand the appeal to evaluate outcomes judiciously and with
metrics, if possible.

But, from where I sit, the appeal of Library 2.0 is *at least* and *in
the first instance* about a solid core—having library technology that
does things and integrates with its users' lives in a way that could
be described as "not failing."

There's a certain reconsideration of Lib 2.0 going around, some
breath-taking, and even a certain amount of backlash. Yet very little
has actually *happened*. A few libraries are doing interesting things,
but they're a tiny minority. There's been no general spread. The
number of conference talks with "Library 2.0" in their title far
exceeds real action taken. What action has happened has largey occured
in activities which I at least see as peripheral, like giving your
library a MySpace page which, like as not, nobody visits.

Meanwhile, the core experience languishes. Library websites haven't
changed much and OPACs have changed even less. Indeed, the core
technology experience is if anything worse today, as patron
expectations have risen.

It's been said before, but it deserves repeating: OPACs are
*dreadful*. "The OPAC sucks" has become a sort of Lib 2.0 shibboleth,
but they haven't stopped sucking. Libraries talk about getting on
Twitter and Second Life, and they're not on Google. Here and there I
can get library photos on Twitter, but my OPAC won't tell me that
although the book I clicked on is out, there is another edition
available. Mid-90s spelling correction and relevancy ranking are
sometimes available, but often as a paid feature. Looking at these
issues from the outside, the landscape can seem surreal.

I know I have a bias. I'm a software developer. I see software
problems. And I am not blaming library technologists, who are
generally at the mercy of systems and organizational limitations that
would drive me mad. Still, I see the library's core web presence as
central, and so obviously behind as to nearly moot other, reasoned
discussion.

So, let me climb down and open this up:

*Should the core web presence be the center of Lib 2.0?
*Can reconceptualizing the project away from technology actually
achieve the technological goals more readily?
*Am I missing real progress? If so, what have I missed?
*Is the talk/action ratio unavoidable?

Tim

Check out my library at http://www.librarything.com/profile/timspalding