[Web4lib] Sharepoint 07 as a CMS

Norwood, Randy randy.norwood at ttu.edu
Fri Nov 2 13:27:54 EDT 2007

The thing to remember about Sharepoint is that it's more of a platform
for development and enhancement than a solution. It's a very complex
system, and needs to be installed, configured, developed and managed by
staff who are trained and knowledgable. It can do many things, but does
not necessarily do all of them well.

At my law school, we're using Sharepoint MOSS 2007 for our intranet, and
it's working pretty well. There was some consideration given to using
Sharepoint WSS 3.0 (which lacks some of MOSS's personalization features)
for our web site. However, that was postponed due to some issues with
campus IT, which wanted us to use their new enterprise CMS (which
they've since postponed themselves).

If I were you, I would not want to be the first on your campus to use
Sharepoint as a web CMS. If others jump in and are successful, and
campus IT supports it well, then maybe I would be amenable to it. In
general, I prefer a dedicated/specialized web CMS.

--
Randy Norwood
Support: 806-742-3990 x318, computersupport.law at ttu.edu
E-mail: randy.norwood at ttu.edu