[Web4lib] Authenticating public workstations

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Thu May 31 13:04:56 EDT 2007

I hope this is sufficiently on topic.  Feel free to reply privately.

We have the usual urban academic library problem of unaffiliated users using too many computer resources, and, of course, some of them are surfing inappropriate material.  Nothing new there.

The campus has provision to authenticate users with LDAP, and we do so for off campus users, through EZProxy.

We'd now like to authenticate almost all of our public computers, but not just for web access, but for logon to any resources (Word, Excel, SciFinderScholar, etc.).  The possibilites we've found so far don't handle single search of multiple containers, and we're not anxious to try to develop a list of over a hundred Novell servers on campus for the software we've found to hit.

I know the above is pretty vague.  To further complicate it, we're dealing with a WinXP and Novell environment, and all of the computers in question are WinXPPro.

Any suggestions, ideas, etc, greatly appreciated.  And the web access is the biggest issue, but we've been told we need to cover all access, not just web.

thanks

dan

Show Up, Suit Up, Shut Up, and Follow Directions

dan at riverofdata.com

Dan Lester, Boise, Idaho, USA