[Web4lib] Creating Library Toolbars

Junus, Ranti junus at mail.lib.msu.edu
Wed May 23 12:31:57 EDT 2007

We offer both LibX (still in test mode) and Conduit toolbars to our
users.  The nice thing about Conduit is, each Bibliographer or library
staff could create their own sets of resources.  It also allows you to
create a set of destinations (path finders/research help, etc.) which
essentially is similar like your browser's bookmarks.

LibX strengths lie in its ability to incorporate your ezproxy, openURL
resolver, and check resources against your catalog.  It also integrates
nicely with Google Scholar, which is a plus for us because we have our
holdings indexed for Google Scholar.

I personally prefer LibX, however I actually ended up using both
toolbars for my Firefox.  Combined with Web Developer
(https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/60) and Accessibility
toolbar from the University of Illinois (http://firefox.cita.uiuc.edu/),
about 1/3 of my screen is now filled with toolbars. :-D

ranti.

--
Ranti Junus, Web Services - Electronic Resources
Michigan State University Libraries