[Web4lib] IE7 address bar

Jonathan Gorman jtgorman at uiuc.edu
Tue May 22 13:32:42 EDT 2007

---- Original message ----
>Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 15:21:16 -0400
>From: "Junior Tidal" <JTidal at CityTech.Cuny.Edu>
>Subject: [Web4lib] IE7 address bar
>To: <web4lib at webjunction.org>
>
>Hello there,
>
>Does anyone know how to remove the address bar from IE7? We have some
>computer stations that we'd like to disallow patrons from inputing web
>address.
>
>Much thanks,
>
>Junior Tidal

I guess my question is what's the actual goal?  Not just what technical measure you're trying to take, but the end goal of what you're doing.

If you want to restrict what web address they can visit, put a filter or a proxy in the network before it reaches those machines.  Worse case, have the filter/proxy setup on the machines themselves.  That solves the problem at the source, rather than trying to do a complicated dance around every possible way they might be able to input an address.

If you're trying to just raise the bar a little bit on what people can enter, but still allow some browsing.there are commercial solutions out there.  I'm just not that familiar with them.

Jon Gorman