[Web4lib] new book list script

Ben Haines bhaines at forestparkpubliclibrary.org
Thu May 17 11:16:16 EDT 2007

Thanks for all your responses!

Kathleen: the ISBNs are from other staff doing collection development, and ultimately from Baker and Taylor, etc.  I could manually put together a page by typing in the HTML to display the title and author for each book, then locating the cover image in our catalog and adding the URL.  But it would certainly be quicker and easier if the process could be automated.

Bret: Our OPAC is managed at the consortium level, so I can't really do much configuration. Also, the Millenium reports server can't be accessed from member libraries at this point(although this might change in the near future). That's why I thought that scraping the OPAC page and reassembling the data might be the way to go. Is this sort of thing difficult to do in Python? Can you point me to any good examples?

-Ben

--
Ben Haines
Reference/Technology Librarian