[Web4lib] New Job Title Pulled from Thin Air

Phil Shapiro pshapiro at his.com
Thu May 17 09:31:08 EDT 2007

Hi Web4Lib community,

      I asked my supervisor at the public library where I work, the Takoma Park
Maryland Library, whether I can call myself the "Public Geek."  "Sure," she
said. "It's fine to call yourself the Public Geek."  "What does that make you?"
I asked mischievously. "I'm the Geek in Chief," she replied, without batting an
eyelid.

       Now during staff meetings I'll be able to say, "Speaking as the Public
Geek, I'd just like to say..."  You think I'm making this up?  Here's
photographic proof! (http://tinyurl.com/2zn2pm)

       I introduce myself very matter-of-factly to people who come into my
workspace, "I work here as the Public Geek."  I fully expect someone to walk up
to me and say, "I'm so glad to meet you. I'm the neighborhood nerd."

"You're the neighborhood nerd? I'm so glad to meet you. I'm the Public Geek."

Phil Shapiro  pshapiro at his.com
Youtube: pshapiro
http://philsrssfeed.blogspot.com
http://www.his.com/pshapiro/stories.menu.html