[Web4lib] U.Va. Library website design review

Turner,Kathleen kt32 at drexel.edu
Fri May 11 11:47:35 EDT 2007

Several people have mentioned "link blur" (great term!) and having
problems "seeing" all the links -- my thought in looking at the colors
you used (red on beige) is that these are likely to be particularly
problematic for anyone with red/green color blindness.  Maybe carry
through the blue that is used above instead of red?

The header of the page, and the photo are both very attractive, but
steal an awful lot of "above the fold" real estate from your content;
the search box also looks jarring in the middle of the banner (also
agree that the gradient color in the search box loses the expected
visual cue of "white box = type something here").  Would you consider
moving the search box down to the right, just above your news and events
section?  This would let you shrink the header up considerably and move
a lot of the content up on the page.

Prioritizing links from the homepage is definitely one of the biggest
challenges of a library site; we really want to share the richness of
our collections and services!  You might want to consider condensing
many of the links listed under Collections to a single "Special
Collections" link -- also perhaps a single "Reserve Rooms and Equipment"
link under "Computers, Space, etc."  Actually, most of what it listed
under this category I would think about moving to a second level.

I found that we really had to be ruthless about what absolutely had to
be on the homepage -- and that we constantly have to fight the battle of
"link-creep"!

Best wishes to you in your continued work on your site -- as I said
above, it is very attractive, and I think you're going in a great
direction (and very brave for putting your work out here!).

Kathleen

Kathleen H. Turner
Web/Education Librarian
W.W. Hagerty Library