[Web4lib] Windows Update Service Crashing Some PCs

garyo oliverg at newpaltz.edu
Thu May 10 15:55:59 EDT 2007

        Along with being on the web team at the library I have been
managing PCs and printers both Public and staff. In our library on the
staff PC we have kept Windows Automatic Updates and for years it was
great, one less thing I had to do manually.
       We have Used a VB script to do windows updates on all our public
PCs because the Hard drive protection needed to be turned off. I never
got around to automating it so I did it the one day a week we close at 9 pm.
       Just a couple months after the hideous Windows Vista came out
Windows Automatic Updates went crazy on XP. So I adapted our Public Win
Update script to the requirements of our staff and added it to a
shutdown maintenance script. Here are the Gory details.
http://pcsinpublic.blogspot.com/2007/05/scripting-windows-update-avoids-errors.html